Friday, July 3, 2015

MOMSnext


Along with the numerous friends we know that are moving and other changes taking place this Summer outside our home, there are some shifts and changes happening in our family as well. We're transitioning out of the "baby" phase. When Rylie was the age Remy is now, I was pregnant with Remy and we started all over again. This time, there's not another baby coming. Remy is moving into the big-girl classes at church and preschool, she's potty-trained, she dresses herself, and we don't really use any "baby gear" anymore. I'm even about to get rid of all the toddler spoons and forks in my kitchen and just have them both use regular "people" ones (as Remy calls them). 

I feel like this is a big transition though. I really noticed it this past year in MOPS (mothers of preschoolers). Again, I was at the "baby table," which is just kind of a funny joke that the past 2 years I've been at tables where 90% of the moms had new babies and our tables were circled with strollers parked around them. Everyone kept joking it was a sign I needed another one. This year, though, it was just isolating. Everyone had a 18 month to 2 year old and a newborn. They didn't have preschool schedules or elementary school schedules to work around. They were doing lots of playdates that I wasn't included in. I did attend a small one to welcome a new baby and it was a day Remy had school. I was just sitting there alone without a toddler to chase, trying to talk to my friends while they wiped boogers, talked about diapers and nursing, dug in their diaper bag for things, handed out goldfish, picked up their toddler-learning-to-walk-who-just-fell and suddenly I felt like I was one of those friends who didn't have kids hanging with friends who did and I didn't belong. It just felt weird. So that's when it occurred to me I'm not really in that "world" anymore. 

This past year was my FIFTH year in MOPS and my first where I felt so isolated and didn't really relate to any other mom except..........the moms at the MOMSnext table. This was our first year to extend our charter to MOMSnext and this coming year, I'm joining them!

MOMSnext is for mothers of school-aged kids and while I still have a preschooler (Remy has a late birthday so she doesn't start kinder for 2 more years, actually), I need more advice on Rylie. I need more moms I can relate to with school things, seven-year-old-sass, sibling rivalry, etc. So I'm excited about moving on up! It's a little intimidating being in my 20's still and almost everyone else is 40+ but I definitely relate to them more right now and they have kids Rylie's age (and a few Remy's age too actually).

I'm not going to lie though, it's been a little sad to think about leaving that baby phase. It was our life for almost 8 years and gosh do I miss those little footed pj's and baby snuggles!!






But it's time to move on and I'm looking forward to what's next in MOMSnext and at home with our big girls!







No comments: