Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

Tomorrow is 10 years to the day I enlisted in the US Navy.

I enlisted the day before my high school graduation. I didn't even tell anyone. I rode up to Dallas MEPS with my recruiter. I remember telling my dad I was spending the night with my friend and he asked if I was really spending the night or going partying since it was the last day of school. I had honestly forgotten it was the last day of school at the time. I remember thinking how weird that was. But no I rode up to Dallas and they put me in a hotel and I went through my physical exams and was sworn in with a chosen career as "Master at Arms" in the US Navy (basically military police). I shipped out to training just a month after graduating and unfortunately didn't complete it due to an injury. I don't consider myself a veteran, but that whole experience gave me a more personal look at our Nation's Armed Forces. I remember coming home from training in Illinois and seeing all the yellow ribbon magnets on car bumpers. I hadn't noticed them before. It just became more personal, like for a moment I was one of the people the yellow ribbons were "thanking." This was only a few years after 9/11 so patriotism was still at a great high. I couldn't have been more proud of our country.

I love Memorial Day. I grew up in a military family with  mom and dad in the Air Force, brother in the Army, and both grandparents serving in Korean War and World War II. I never take for granted what the Armed Forces does for our country. I never want my girls to take them for granted either. We are a very blessed country and freedom isn't free. I thank you all, Armed Forces past and present for giving us our freedom.


*******




The girls spend this long weekend break with Mimi and Gaga and according to the phone conversation with Rylie, they had "SO MUCH FUN."



They came home Monday and we all cooked out and played inside while it rained all day.



I loved dressing them in red, white, and blue. Rylie told me before the necklace "I dont have enough red on." lol Girl after my own heart. I let her wear one of my necklaces.



Love these sweet girls and I hope they always know what a great country we live in, thanks to our military services.



We also made homemade ice cream and this wonderful Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake. Seriously, go make this right now. You'll thank me later ;-)

No comments: