Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gardening

Today was a busy, crazy day! Rylie had school & was surprisingly sad to go today. Just a little though. She usually runs into her room & sits by her friends, but today she just wanted Mommy. I miss her when she's at school, but today was the first time she seemed to miss me! She's going to move up a class next week so hopefully that'll go well!
Anyways, while Rylie was at school I ran around getting finishing touches for Easter & then hit up the local garden center. I bought a ton of stuff we needed to spruce up our flower beds & make our yard look great. The freezes we had this Winter damaged some plants. So I get home & by then it's 2pm & getting very hot. So I parked my car in the driveway by the front of the house (we have a kinda long driveway that goes to the back to our detached garage) & went inside to get a cup of water before I got started. Then I came out the backdoor & saw a freakin snake. My first thought was "Are you kidding me?!" Ugh...it was so ugly & long & making a wierd noise as it was slithering away from the back house door to our gate door (our back door goes out to a kinda long walk-way with a half fence along it to our detached garage). So, not knowing what kinda thing I'm dealin with here, I decide to hop the fence & get my neighbor. He walks over with a shovel & we find the thing in my garage behind (of all things) Rylie's riding toys. My neighbor stabbed it with the shovel & of course I yelled "Wait! Lemme get a picture!" haha
Pretty long for a grass snake. Thankfully it wasnt a poisonous one, but it still caught me off guard. Kinda freaks me out at the thought of not knowing if a snake's in my garage by Rylie's toys & she goes in to play with one & there could be a chance it'd be a venomous one. (shuddering now) Yuck! So I also got some video of the thing still moving around...just for anyone who might be a snake person!
video
Apparently these things are drawn to flower beds & now that people are doing a lot of gardening lately, these things might be popular nowadays. No more letting Rylie walk out our back door ahead of us! I mean, they're not poisonous but they do still bite. So it took me a few minutes to get motivation back to work on our yard. I did manage to dig up 6 dead shrubs, plant 8 shrubs in their place, remulch our front beds, pull all the weeds, plant 4 flower pots, & raked up some dead grass.


David picked up Rylie from school since I was a stinky mess & first thing she did when she came home was come running to me saying "Help Mommy!" Then she grabbed the rake outta my hands & started raking dead grass too. Aww my little helper! I sure missed her today but I'm glad I had that little adventure while she was at school! Garden safe everyone! =)

4 comments:

Rosie said...

Yep-had to pass on watching the video.Ha!
My dogs are always getting snakes & they PLAY with them! We've even had some sort of 8 foot monsterous one in our yard from all the rain. They totally freak me out! I wish I had a green thumb like you...all I do is spend tons of $$ on my flower bed and it looks terrible! lol.

Rosie said...

Yep-had to pass on watching the video.Ha!
My dogs are always getting snakes & they PLAY with them! We've even had some sort of 8 foot monsterous one in our yard from all the rain. They totally freak me out! I wish I had a green thumb like you...all I do is spend tons of $$ on my flower bed and it looks terrible! lol.

Becca - www.thatstoocute.net said...

The yard looks great! I bet you are exhausted! Thanks for the "heads up" on the snakes. I haven't run across any, literally, this year yet!

grandma said...

I didn't pass up on the video, but wished i did! Hope Rylie knows to wait for mommy before going for her toys in the garage. Need "snake repellent"!LOL