Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Birthday Cake Woes

I made the decision a long time ago to make Rylie's birthday cake every year. I'm very firm on this decision & refuse to not make her birthday cake myself. I dont know why I feel so strongly on this topic, but I do.
So last year I spent 2 or 3 days trying to make her a precious tiara-shaped cake for her Princess-themed 1st birthday. After 3 failed tries on that cake, I sat on the kitchen floor covered in flour about to give up when I decided to try just one more time. Finally it worked! And this was the best job I could do on her cake last year.
It's not perfect, but I was very proud of myself. I will admit though, I used a box mix for the cake & store-bought icing. I still prefer this cake over a professional one though because it's one that I made myself for my daughter on her special day.

This year, however, I hope to step it up a notch & do a more fancy cake.
Of course I could in no way, shape, or form make anything like this..


And that's ok, because I'd still prefer one I make myself (no matter how ugly it turns out) over one that's, in my opinion, "too perfect." And I'd never choose this cake anyways, because I'm very picky about all her birthday cakes actually saying "Happy # Birthday, Rylie!"
So I'm going to try my hardest to make her a beautiful, butterfly birthday cake-completely from scratch this year! So I started practicing Monday night. I made 2 small 6 inch round vanilla sponge cakes. They came out of the oven so beautifully & smelled so good!


I then made homemade buttercream icing & used part of it as a filling-flavored with orange to give it a citrus taste.

And then I used the rest of the buttercream to frost the entire cake! It was so beautiful, although rather harder to frost than I thought because the filling between the layers was thinner than the frosting & kept seeping out the sides.


Anyways, David & I cut ourselves a piece & by then it was 9 o'clock at night & I'd worked on this baby for hours that day. I was so excited to take my first bite & taste my success!


How completely wrong I was!
This was the worst cake I'd ever tasted in my life! It was not moist at all! It had a very hard texture & the "buttercream" frosting tasted like I was eating pure powdered sugar! The filling between the layers was so runny it just seeped into the cake & you can tell in the picture above that it didnt hold up between the layers at all!
I was so disappointed in my wasted day's effort! I threw the entire cake away, cleaned up the kitchen & just went to bed. I'm so disgusted by this awful cake that I cant even think about eating any cake for awhile. It did come from a British book by a professional baker, so there's a possibility I didnt convert their measurements correctly (theirs are in grams & ounces while typically America's measurements are in cups/tsp/Tbsp) but I'm pretty certain I measured correctly! I'm going to try again with a different recipe next week though & hopefully it'll actually be edible!


(Note-Yes I know Rylie's birthday is still 2 months away, but last year we had hurricane Ike in September that left us without power for 2 weeks & still recovering after that, so I'm not taking any chances this year & getting an early headstart!)

3 comments:

Becca - www.thatstoocute.net said...

The cake does look pretty. I'm sure the southern living recipe will be good, and maybe easier!

Good luck with the layers!! I made Jimmy a 6 layered red velvet cake last year. This year we'll stick with 2 or 3. They layers started sliding off to the side.........not pretty! Ha!!

Brittany and Charlie said...

The cake looked nice. I am sorry it didn't turn out. Wilton makes a butterfly shaped pan if that would help. Savi's theme this yr is butterflies:)

~Shelly~ said...

Keep on tryin~u'll get it!