Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pretty Scary...

OK, so by now you should've read the previous 2 posts about Rylie's shoes & her wearing her doggy shirt today. (If you haven't, please scroll down & read the previous 2 posts first.) Well, lemme tell you how IRONIC that is!
Earlier today Becca asked me if Rylie & I were going for a walk this evening. The 4 of us ended up going & about 5:30, maybe 5:40pm it was getting dark & we were just finishing a cal-de-sac area & about to head home. All of a sudden this HUGE dog comes full-force charging towards us, teeth barred, growling!!!! It was the biggest freaking German Shephard I'd ever seen! It looked like a freaking bear! I've got Rylie in her stroller & Kendall's down in her little car (you've seen pics of it previously on the blog). I'm scared to death this dog's gonna bit their heads off! It comes roaring right towards me & I'm thinking I'm about to lose a leg. It reaches me & only jumps on me, but still in a fierce way. I'm screaming! Then this guy 2 houses down comes out to take his trash out & the dog runs at him. I'm franctically trying to get Rylie outta her stroller & Becca's doing the same with Kendall. I'm yelling at this guy, "IS THIS YOUR DOG?!!!" He seems to not care that this huge beast just tried attacking us & said it belonged to this other house & pointed towards it. Then the dog just walks over to the house it belongs to & stands in the yard sniffing the ground. I'm like "What do we do now?" Afraid to move or the dog will attack us, we just watch it. Then the dog starts walking down the street. I told Becca to stay with the stroller & carrying Rylie, I walk up to the house. I reach the door & the dog comes at me full-force again! I'm banging on the door & screaming for help! The dog starts jumping on me & I'm trying to cover Rylie with myself as I'm standing there. Finally a lady opens the door & I'm screaming at her, "IS THIS YOUR DOG???!!" She answers carelessly, "Yes." I get a very angry tone with her & YELL at her (course I have every right to yell at her carelessness) "YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR DOG LOCKED UP! YOU NEED TO FIX YOUR FENCE & KEEP IT INSIDE! YOU COULD'VE JUST HAD A HUGE LAWSUIT!! YOUR DOG JUST TRIED ATTACKING ME & MY BABY & MY FRIEND & HER BABY! YOU NEED TO GET IT FIXED!" She mumbled sorry then just walked over to the fence as her beast went inside the house & she closed the door. I walked back over to Becca & Kendall & just knew Kendall would be terrified because she doesn't like dogs, but nope! Both girls were so calm & didn't even realize what had happened. That was really great for me & Becca because we were both scared enough as it was. I think if the girls had freaked out too, we would've felt worse. We started walking home & I was still shaking, a nauceous feeling in my stomach. That could've been so much worse than it was! I know I shouldn't be thinking what could've happened, but seriously we were very very lucky that it wasn't worse!! I cannot tell you how many news stories we did back in Waco over dogs attacking (and killing) people! I'd seen toddlers in interviews with permanent scars on their faces from near-death experiences with dog attacks. That dog could've easily grabbed Rylie or Kendall. They were both at easy access being down low in their strollers/car! What if Rylie had been eating her snack during our walk like she'd done before? Would that dog have actually attacked her then? I've driven myself crazy all night thinking about this whole thing! I never never never thought in a million years that during our evening walks we'd have to worry about being attacked by a dog. Everybody here has fences & we'd seen a few little friendly puppies get out & just walk next to us, but I never ever thought there might be a dangerous dog in the neighborhood that could potentially harm us. Needless to say we wont be going down that street from now on & I'm asking Santa for a taser! lol
Also, when I got back home & told David all about it I realized Rylie lost a shoe during this whole ordeal! Yep, the little black one seen in the pictures 2 posts ago. We drove back & retraced our steps with no shoe in sight. I'm thinking the dog might've grabbed it during all that. So we took her to Target & got her another pair. Hey, $10 on another pair of shoes is nothing compared to an ER visit or Rylie losing her life, so I'll gladly buy her another pair of shoes if it means she comes outta a situation like that unharmed!

3 comments:

The Pifer's said...

HOLY CRUD GIRL, that would have scared the crap out of me!!!! You had every reason to be upset! I dont know if Houston is like Waco, but if so you should call the city and report that, I think they will inforce that the dogs have to be locked up at all times, or something like that...a lady across the street did something like that with a dog who lives a couple blocks away but would stray over to our road...I am so glad yall are all ok. The same lady across the street, earlier this week she got a call that a big dog attacked her 4 year old niece, she has 5 stiches in her chin and her eye is all messed up, she has already had one surgery on her eye and will have to have another...ppl really need to be responsible with there dogs.

The Pifer's said...

Hey sweetie...I have something for you on my blog... :o)

Becca said...

it was all very scary!! i think we'll stay indoors when kendall wears her doggie shirt!